What are the key threats to network and PC security today?
Whether by malicious intent or accident, people are the main source of trouble, PC security problems can range from serious
fraud, data theft or copyright breaches, through to work lost due to the introduction of viruses.
- Acceptable Use Policy Report - A report on Acceptable Usage Policy: what corporations expect of it, a case
study, and a framework for creating your own policy.
- Aelita Enterprise Directory Manager - Secure "Rules and Roles" management platform that facilitates secure Exchange
and Active Directory administration.
- AmiWall.org - Proxy based system to aid in implementing employee internet use policies.
- The Basics of an IT Security Policy - This paper is intended to address the importance of having a written and enforceable
Information Technology (IT) security policy, and to provide an overview of the necessary components of an effective policy.
- Best Practices in Network Security - Knowing how and what to protect and what controls to put in place is difficult.
It takes security management, including planning, policy development and the design of procedures.
- Browsing with a Loaded Gun - A strong web Security Policy is key to keeping your company safe in the net-centric
world. (PDF format)
- Building and Implementing a Successful Information Security Policy - White paper providing the reader with new and innovative aspects on the process
of building a Security Policy, as well as managing a Security Awareness Program. [PDF]
- Building Effective, Tailored Information Security Policy - 20th NISSC Internet Technical Security Policy Panel
- Canada's Export Controls - Unofficial / unverified article describing Canada's export controls on cryptographic
- CERT Practice Modules: Improving Security - Determine contractor ability to comply with your organization's security policy.
- CERT Practice Modules: Responding to Intrusions - Establish policies and procedures for responding to intrusions.
- CERT Practice Modules: Securing Desktop Workstations - Develop and promulgate an acceptable use policy for workstations.
- CobiT User Group - International user group and hub for CobiT, the emerging IT control and security
- Common Criteria Evaluation and Validation Scheme - The US government agency overseeing the Common Criteria security certification
- Computer and Information Security Policy - Formal IT security policy helps establish standards for IT resource protection
by assigning program management responsibilities and providing basic rules, guidelines, and definitions for everyone in the
organization. Policy thus helps prevent inconsistencies that can introduce risks, and policy serves as a basis for the enforcement
of more detailed rules and procedures.
- Create Order with a Strong Policy - A well-written, well-run security policy keeps cracks from appearing in your
- Developing an Information Security Strategy - This whitepaper describes the steps needed to develop an organization-wide
information security strategy.
- Do you have an intrusion detection response plan? - Discussion of what should go into the creation of an intrusion detection plan
and the expected results.
- E-Policy - E-policy is a corporate statement and set-of-rules to protect the organization
from casual or intentional abuse that could result in the release of sensitive information, IT system failures or litigation
against the organization by employees or other parties.
- Formulating a Wireless LAN Security Policy: Relevant Issues, Considerations
and Implications - [Word Document] This paper represents the security issues related to the use
of wireless (vs wired) LAN technology and recommends a number of key implementation guidelines to ensure the secure deployment
of wireless LAN services in the company.
- GASSP Home Page - Generally Accepted System Security Principles, developed by The International
Information Security Foundation.
- How to Develop a Network Security Policy White Paper - This document is for business executives, and others, who want to know more
about Internet and internetworking security, and what measures you can take to protect your site.
- How to Develop Good Security Policies and Tips on Assessment and
Enforcement - [Word Document] Invest the time up front to carefully develop sound policies
and then identify ways to gauge their effectiveness and assess the level of compliance within your organization. Commit to
spending the time and resources required to ensure that the policies are kept current and accurately reflect your company's
- IASEP Data Security Protocol - An archive website from the Purdue Research Foundation, containing a range
of example security policy sets.
- Implementing an Encryption Policy for the Mac OS X User - This paper provides the derivation and implementation of a security policy
for Mac OS X users.
- The Information Security Forum - It has produced the standard to provide guidelines on all aspects of information
security including IT, data, and computer controls.
- Information Security Policies - Make and manage security policies. Run awareness programs with audits and
e-learning to build a human firewall.
- Information Security Program Development - Security standards are needed by organizations because of the amount of information,
the value of the information, and ease with which the information can be manipulated or moved.
- Institute for Security and Open Methodologies (ISECOM) - Non-profit, international research initiative dedicated to defining standards
in security testing and business integrity testing.
- Internet Security Policy: A Technical Guide - Contents - This document is intended to help an organization create a coherent Internet-specific
information security policy.
- Internet/Network Security Policy Development - How to write an effective network security policy. This is Part 4 of a 5 part
tutorial on Internet and network security.
- IT Security Cookbook - An excellent guide to computer & network security with a strong focus
on writing and implementing security policy. This is primarily for security managers and system administrators.
- ITworld.com - Security's human side - IT World article - essentially a review of Pentasafe's VigilEnt security policy
- Make Your Web Site P3P Compliant - How to create and publish your company's platform for privacy performance
policy, a W3C initiative, in 6 steps.
- Network Security - Internet Security for the Enterprise - Information hub for the enterprise discussing network security, storage compliance,
CRM, and human resource.
- Open ISO 17799 Policies - A public collaberation to document this standard and create compliant security
- OSSTMM: Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual - A widely used, peer-reviewed, comprehensive methodology for performing security
- An Overview of Corporate Computer User Policy - Article discusses the elements of a corporate security policy, which it calls
the gateway to a company`s intellectual property. The main threat to information security within a company is its employees.
- PKI Policy Whitepaper - Provides general information about PKI policy, the role that policy plays
in a PKI and how that policy applies to both traditional and PKI-enabled business environments. [PDF]
- Policy Over Policing - InfoWorld article - It's easy to develop e-mail and Internet policies, but
education and documentation are crucial to their success.
- P3P Guiding Principles - Principles behind the W3C Platform for Privacy Preferences initiative.
- Return on Information Security Investment - Assess your company's Return on Information Security Investment
- RFC2196 (Site Security Handbook) - a guide to developing computer security policies and procedures for sites
that have systems on the Internet. Published 1997.
- SANS InfoSec Reading Room - Articles on security policy and other infosec topics.
- SecurityDocs - A substantial collection of papers and articles on the development and implementation
of security policies.
- Site Security Policy Development - This paper outlines some issues that the writer of a Site Computer Security
Policy may need to consider when formulating such a document.
- Structured Approach to Computer Security - A security policy is a set of rules written in general terms stating what
is permitted and what is not permitted in a system during normal operation.
- Understanding the Virus Threat and Developing Effective Anti-Virus
Policy - This paper focuses on providing the reader with an overview of the current
virus landscape and aids in developing best practice anti-virus policies.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Security standards, transactions and code set standards, identifier standards,
mailing lists, implementation guides, and administrative simplification.
- What makes a good security policy and why is one necessary? - Security does not come from automated applications, rather it is compromised
of security applications or systems, processes and procedures and the personnel to implement both the systems and processes.
In order to properly address security, the most fundamental item necessary is a security policy.
- What's Your Policy? - If your company doesn't have written security policies, it's time it did,
and Mark Edwards has some resources to help.
- Why Security Policies Fail - Objective analysis reveals that many breaches are linked to common weaknesses
in the security policy...accidents waiting to happen. This article focuses on strategic and systematic weaknesses that can
slowly degrade security operations.
- Windows 2000 Group Policy and Security - The use of Group Policy to simplify the network security tasks that you face
as a network administrator. With Group Policy, you can ensure that the machines on your network remain in a secure configuration
after you deploy them.
- Windows IT LIbrary - This paper offers wide ranging advice on the development and implementation
of security policies.
- World of Information Security Management - This site contains information on BS 7799 (ISO/IEC 17799)